Michele Regenold, Writing for Kids from the Boondocks

A blog about writing for children and the quest for publication.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Back to Vermont for residency number 3

I leave for the start of my third semester at Vermont College tomorrow. My flight is at a reasonable time, 10:05 a.m., so I don't have to impose on my sister in Des Moines and stay with her the night before so she can get up at 4:30 a.m. to take me to the airport. I already checked in online and printed my boarding passes.

I bought a new rolling duffle bag to take with me. A large red one from L.L. Bean. I'd been borrowing my sister's sturdy hard-sided rolling suitcase. It was capacious but heavy. I was in danger of going over the weight limit. And I have to take my pillow. So I'll pack the new bag this afternoon.

A year ago I was about to embark on this Vermont College experience. I'm looking forward to this residency with so much more anticipation and excitement than I was the first time. The big difference is that now I know the people. My classmates, students in other classes, and the faculty are so funny and interesting.

Another reason I'm looking forward to this residency is because of the cool people in my workshop, including a fellow mystery writer and two of my classmates. My workshop leaders this time around include the legendary Marion Dane Bauer and the super friendly poet Julie Larios, who joined the faculty last summer.

Julie has challenged us all (students and faculty) to write a poem called "Eggs for breakfast" and bring it to the residency. I suck at poetry, but I might try this, perhaps a limerick, because breakfast is my favorite meal.

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sooooo jealous! Wish I was going with you. Have a great time. Can you believe how fast the program goes? You're half-way there!

And I loved GO! It looks great!

Have fun!
kellye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home