Michele Regenold, Writing for Kids from the Boondocks

A blog about writing for children and the quest for publication.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Writing scholarship

Yesterday I received a letter with Mystery Writers of America as the return address. I'd applied for a scholarship in February. When I saw the envelope I thought they were sending me info about the winner. I couldn't have won.

The envelope had a window in it, and inside it kind of looked like a check. But I figured that was just my imagination and drove the eight miles home.

When I got home, I did my usual end of day stuff like feeding cats and changing clothes. Then, finally, I opened the letter.

IT WAS A CHECK! FOR $500!

What do you know? I won the scholarship. I danced around the kitchen, told my dog, cracked open a beer, and emailed just about everybody I know.

This is the first time I've gotten money for fiction. I had to submit three chapters and a synopsis, which I revised based on feedback from my first residency at Vermont College.

Very cool.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It always feels good to get acknowledged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home