Michele Regenold, Writing for Kids from the Boondocks

A blog about writing for children and the quest for publication.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Stress

I don't get stressed out very easily. I go with the flow. But these packet deadlines are relentless!

Okay. This whole MFA thing is way more work than I expected. I have no idea how people with children handle it. I just have a husband. And pets. And a full-time job, but that's no biggie.

My main problem is procrastination. I take a breather after I send in a packet. And suddenly there are only two weeks left until the next packet's due.

Meanwhile I'm reading like a fiend--20 books a month--mostly novels. For packet four however, I'm going to stick in a whole bunch of picture books because I'm running out of time.

I admit that for my birthday (April 30), I gave myself permission to read a novel for adults. And then, because it was lying on the dining room table, another novel for adults. So I know I have only myself to blame. But Garnethill by Denise Mina was quite compelling, especially for a first novel. (It's a mystery set in Glasgow, Scotland and deals with sexual abuse and memories and therapy.)

So my next deadline is May 16. Hubby will be gone for a couple of days, so it'll be easier to get stuff done because he won't be hogging the computer.

I have one essay drafted. Need to draft one more. I was thinking about writing about story arc, which was discussed at the Iowa SCBWI conference last month. I might write about my own, in- progress, story arc and help myself figure out the major scenes.

I have to revise part of a chapter and finish several more new pages. I know where I'm going. Just have to keep plugging away.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Michele. I think your usual go-with-the-flow personality will help, especially as the stress increases. I think each semester gets progressively more challenging. It's always doable, but the bar keeps getting higher.

Someone recently said on the forum that this is a two-year sprint, and I'm really feeling that now. (I'm not a runner like you!)

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woops! forgot to sign my name, although you can probably guess...:-)

kellye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home