Michele Regenold, Writing for Kids from the Boondocks

A blog about writing for children and the quest for publication.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Leaving on a jet plane

Tomorrow's the big day. Tomorrow I arrive in Vermont. Which means today I pack.

People have been asking me for days now if I'm packed and ready. Ha! No. I'm a last minute packer. For one thing, I had to do laundry first and because of a family obligation last night, laundry didn't get done until this afternoon.

I have to get up tomorrow at 4 am. I'm staying at my sister's in Des Moines tonight because otherwise I'd have to get up at 3 am. I'm bribing her to take me to the airport. She says she's going to wear her pajamas because she's only stopping long enough for me to hop out. I don't blame her. Getting up early, particularly in the dark and the cold, is really unpleasant.

Eleven years ago this month I left in the cold and the dark and boarded a plane for a new adventure. I'd enlisted in the Army Reserve and was headed to Ft. Jackson, South Carolina. I was an older enlistee--late twenties--old enough to know better. But I wanted to see if I could do it.

It's the same with an MFA. I want to see if I can do it.

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have you know, I am NOT a family obligation. You certainly didn't need to be there if you didn't want to be. You definitely seemed quite amused for the entire game we played!

Interesting comparing the Army gig (which I told you not to do because it sucks) and this...I'll have to think on that some more. Fascinating how one was more physical and mentally aloof and this is much more intellectual and emotional on a deeply personal level...I'd guess this is the one that's harder for you:)
sr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home