Michele Regenold, Writing for Kids from the Boondocks

A blog about writing for children and the quest for publication.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

First-term advisor

Rita Williams-Garcia, one of my workshop leaders, is my advisor for my first semester. I think she'll be excellent.

This morning all of her advisees met (there are five of us, including three first-term students) to learn more about her expectations for the semester.

We'll be expected to submit five packets during the semester, starting with a February 6 due date for the first packet and then one packet a month through June. The packet will contain about 20 pages of new writing (12 pt., double space) and (for us first-term folks) two essays of two to three pages. Each time at least one essay has to be a critical essay, which I interpret as a more scholarly/literary analysis piece. The other essay can be a discussion of craft.

After the first packet we'll be adding about 20 pages of revised material, for a maximum total of 40 pages of creative work in each packet.

In addition to the essays and creative work, we're supposed to write her a letter that tells how the writing's going, asks any questions we have, and discusses the books we've read.

We also have to develop a bibliography that I think gets turned in with the last packet. She expects us to read at least 100 books this semester. I tried not to choke on that. I bet I didn't read 100 books all last year. But she's counting books that we may not read completely, like books on craft, which I suppose helps a little. I've read lots of craft books. Mainly she wants us to read in the genre we'll be working in.

I have a one-on-one meeting with her Tuesday to discuss my semester plan. I need to come up with a list of books I'd like to read by then.

4 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michele, I'm enjoying your blog quite a bit as I'm thinking of applying to Vermont's program in a year or so. This particular post about the amount of work involved makes me think about how much work writing is.
Thanks for doing this. It really helps me see where I need to be with my writing and my commitment before I apply.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Michele Regenold said...

Carol,
I didn't conceptualize very well before coming how much work it would be, not during the residency, but during the rest of the semester. It will most definitely keep me on my toes.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Welcome to the world of the terminal degree:) Too bad you aren't into the picture book world...100 of those books is not too bad (of course those advisors are probably saying 1000 books read in the semester).

sr

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Michele Regenold said...

Rita said we can count picture books too, so I certainly plan to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home